05 September 2007

Random Thoughts

Where did the word "tummy" come from? It doesn't sound like "stomach". I can see how the "tom" in stomach may be similar, but not really. It's the cutest word for a non-cute word for a weird part of the body. I love it.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

this post reminds me of the "word of the day" messages you would have on your phone at BYU. I think you used to say you wouldn't call us back unless we got the definition right? And I loved it when you used it in a sentence and advised us to do the same that day! You should totally start a "word of the day" section on your blog!

Emily said...

oh my embarrassing.

Peg said...

From what I can find it's a child's pronunciation of the word stomach. Lots of children can't say their "s" so it comes out tomach and then moves to tummy.

Ammon said...

For the longest time my sister would play a little game with her son and say, "Ding-dong!" every time she pushed his belly-button...until he started calling his stomach his Ding-Dong!
Tummy is definitely cute and appropriate!

Emily said...

HA! that made me laugh.