05 September 2007

too many Dave's


A few months ago we got a book from the library by Dr. Seuss called "Sneetches and other stories." In the book was a story I had never seen but I thought it fit our family rather well. It's called "Too Many Dave's." For those of you who don't know, my dad is a Dave. My brother Delos's first name is David. My oldest sister Alice married a Dave. I married a Dave. Alice named her first son David Logan (he goes by Logan). Delos named his second son David. I named my second son David Noah (he goes by Noah). I have a cousin named David...and guess what his last name is? Davidson. No, I'm not kidding. So what is it with the name Dave? Why is it so popular? I can tell you I named Noah that because I really admire my husband and think he's a good man and wanted his name to be perpetuated. Not that I don't admire my dad or my brother, but Noah is specifically named after his own dad, which I think is neat. So what is it with my family and Dave's? It's weird. But I like that my family has


Too Many Dave's



Did I ever tell you that Mrs. McCave
Had twenty-three sons, and she named them all Dave?
Well, she did. And that wasn't a smart thing to do.

You see, when she wants one, and calls out
"Yoo-Hoo! Come into the house, Dave!" she doesn't get one.
All twenty-three Daves of hers come on the run!
This makes things quite difficult at the McCaves'

As you can imagine, with so many Daves.
And often she wishes that, when they were born,
She had named one of them Bodkin Van Horn.
And one of them Hoos-Foos. And one of them Snimm.
And one of them Hot-Shot. And one Sunny Jim.
And one of them Shadrack. And one of them Blinkey.
And one of them Stuffy. And one of them Stinkey.
Another one Putt-Putt. Another one Moon Face.
Another one Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face.
And one of them Ziggy. And one Soggy Muff.
One Buffalo Bill. And one Biffalo Buff.
And one of them Sneepy. And one Weepy Weed.
And one Paris Garters. And one Harris Tweed.
And one of them Sir Michael Carmichael Zutt.
And one of them Oliver Boliver Butt.
And one of them Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate . . . .
But she didn't do it. And now it's too late.

4 comments:

Holly or James said...

I read this to Caleb the other night and i thought of the LArson family right away. (:

Hey Em, how do you put a picture to go with your profile. I tried to add one on the "edit your profile" page, but it doesn't work. The photo uploads and then I can't find it!! What do I do???

Emily said...

You have to have the web url to upload a photo. so upload a photo to your blog like you always do (in a post), then go to the "edit html" tab. find the picture in the code. you'll notice that for every image in "Edit HTML" mode, there are actually two links. The first starts with "a href=" and provides a link to the full-sized image on its own page. The second starts with "img style=" and links to the image you see on the regular blog page. copy the second of the two links. paste it into your profile under "photo url". that's it!

Emily said...

fyi, i couldn't include the whole code because blogger wouldn't let me publish my comment with unfinished html code. just so you know, there should be a < that you copy before each of those things in quotations (img style and a href). copy the whole thing. call me if you have any questions.

Anonymous said...

Emily, cute post!! lol about the Dave's. :)