24 August 2007

Karma

I never wrote thank you notes after my wedding. I know, it's the cardinal sin of marriage. I am an ungrateful, terrible person. I am well aware of this. I feel truly terrible about this. But I was 21, a newlywed, still in school, and working. It was a busy time and, frankly, I'm lazy. I've tried to repent of this by writing thank you notes for everything now. I wrote thank yous from my bridal shower, baby showers, for birthday and Christmas gifts, I wrote thank you notes to everybody in the ward who helped us move...I wrote a thank you note to my grocer for carrying out my groceries...I've written a thank you note to Draper city for having such a great park...I've written thank you notes to people for sending me thank you notes...okay those last few were sarcastic but I truly have changed my ways and I write lots of thank yous now. But, as they say, payback is a ...terrible thing.

In preparation to move I was going through our boxes of wedding presents that we never used in our first apartment and definitely didn't use while living with mom and dad, I found a pretty vase in a box, and a homemade cookbook was stuffed inside as well. This was from the Larkins. Dave's best friend growing up was Chris Larkin (the guy who created the Guitar Hero game). This gift was from their family, and as I start going through the cookbook, a check falls out. A $50 check. Seriously? It's dated August 24, 2001. As you all know, checks are only good for a year so this is way expired...but it would be really easy to change a "1" to a "7", wouldn't it? But since I never thanked them for it and I'm not a thief or a liar, I'll put the check in our wedding memory book as a reminder that you must write thank you notes, or karma will bite you in the tush.

I'M SORRY I DIDN'T WRITE THANK YOU NOTES. I WAS VERY GRATEFUL FOR ALL THE WONDERFUL AND GENEROUS GIFTS I RECEIVED..

So this is karma telling me I am a terrible person...something I already knew. But I still have the list of who gave us what, and after this I just may get that list out and start writing thank yous this week. Is it 6 years too late???

5 comments:

Jessica said...

nope---i'm still waiting for my thank you note!

Ammon said...

First of all, YOU ARE NOT A TERRIBLE PERSON!
Second, I think it would be okay to send them to close friends and relatives... it'd be funny to receive a thank you note 6 years after the fact. Think of all the clever things you could say!

Val said...

That happened to me, too. I found a check after about 2 years and felt like an IDIOT for not depositing it--cuz we really needed that money!

Holly or James said...

I would TOTALLY hate that if I missed out on a $50 check! We got a lot of $10-$25 checks, but only a few $50 or larger ones. So, that sucks for you! I can't even remember what or if James and I got you for you wedding . . . hmmmm? Do you remember?

Emily said...

i know you made my wedding video for me (which i love, thanks!) and i feel like all of the brothers and sisters pooled money to give and we got a vacuum? our book is packed with all that stuff in it, so who knows.