Wednesday was Luke's first day of Kindergarten. The first day parents go with and the kids only stay for about 30 minutes, so no big deal. But then Thursday comes. I'm feeling a little nervous but think I can make it through okay. We park and get out of the car and start walking towards the kindergarten play area and his little grip on my hand gets tighter and tighter the closer we get and by the time we are to the gate at the entrance he's tugging me the other direction with a look of sheer terror in his eyes. I keep telling him I'll go with him to his door and stay until the bell rings but he's not budging. I finally have to literally drag him through the gate. He realizes nobody's going to attack him and decides he'll slowly come along. We set his backpack down in the line of backpacks in front of the door to his class and he tentatively steps towards the playground. Then the bell rings. All of the kids line up at the door, Luke is at least 6 inches shorter than anyone else and just looks so tiny and vulnerable. The teacher comes out and tells them to come inside. They follow her in and I want to go too, I know I can't, but I want to. The door closes and I think, whew I made it. But then before I can get away, a lady from my ward walks by and says "Hey, how are you," seemingly harmless, I know, but as I open my mouth to say "fine" what comes out is a high-pitched "okay" and then the tears start to fall. By the time I get to the van, with what seems like hundreds of compassionate stares following me, I'm sobbing. It's so hard to let go a little bit when I've been the one solely taking care of him for so long. It feels sad that that stage of life is over and this new one is beginning where there are so many other influences on him. I can only pray I've prepared him and can be in tune to what he needs to succeed. Mostly I miss him. And it's only a half-day! Just imagine me when he starts 1st grade.
17 August 2007
First Day of School
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
We'll be going through that same thing in about two weeks, or maybe one now. Caleb's kindergarten is ALL DAY and that makes me very nervous. I just hope he'll make it through and not be bullied.
How did it go?
-james
I've got my mind all made up that I won't cry. But after reading this I'm afraid I might now. ): I got all choked up reading this and anticipating Caleb's first day. He starts on the 29th.
-Holly
I wish you had seen me last year when I took Hannah. I'll have to send you a copy of the poem his teacher handed me. I was sobbing when I got to the van and I cried off and on all day (and a few more times that week). I wrote a letter to Hannah that first morning that I'm saving for her and I say basically the same things you wrote: how I can't believe how fast she's growing up and leaving my influence and how I can only pray that I've prepared her etc. Anyway, it does get easier as the year goes on but it's crazy how hard it is sending those little ones off to school. I called mom and she told me she used to cry every year when we'd go back (who knew?) and I called my friend Lori (her son was starting two days after Hannah) and told her to definitely bring her sunglasses.
I wish you had seen me last year when I took Hannah. I'll have to send you a copy of the poem his teacher handed me. I was sobbing when I got to the van and I cried off and on all day (and a few more times that week). I wrote a letter to Hannah that first morning that I'm saving for her and I say basically the same things you wrote: how I can't believe how fast she's growing up and leaving my influence and how I can only pray that I've prepared her etc. Anyway, it does get easier as the year goes on but it's crazy how hard it is sending those little ones off to school. I called mom and she told me she used to cry every year when we'd go back (who knew?) and I called my friend Lori (her son was starting two days after Hannah) and told her to definitely bring her sunglasses.
sorry - don't know why that posted twice
that made me cry. maybe i WILL homeschool. then i'll have the weird kids of the family.
I just can't believe you have a kid old enough to go to school!
I'm just so excited for Caleb to get OUT of the house and actually DO something! I'm afraid that he is just SO bored here. So, I think it will be great for him, although Jack and I will miss him.
-Holly
Post a Comment