05 August 2007

BOYCOTT U-HAUL!!!

We moved yesterday. Thank goodness that's over. But now I'm calling for a boycott on U-Haul. I called and reserved a truck over a week ago and used my credit card to reserve it to make sure it would be there. Dad and Dave showed up at 9:00 to pick it up and they didn't have it. They said to go to West Jordan to pick one up. Too bad that's about 20 miles away and our Elders' Quorum had already showed up to pack us up. So they proceeded to West Jordan to get our truck. The men had all of our stuff out in the driveway before they got here. They told us they had called us the day before to tell us that we would have to go to WJ but we never had a call. Anyway, later that day Dad tried to call and talk to a manager about it to get some sort of reimbursement (especially since they charged us extra for having to drive the 20 miles from WJ to our house in Draper). My dad called the regional manager and told her that we had never received a call. The REGIONAL MANAGER said "I'm not going to argue with you. We texted 4087 (our number) and 4097 (my parents number) on Friday." My dad said "Can I tell you something?" and she said "I'm not going to argue with you" and HUNG UP ON HIM. My dad tried to call back to tell her that both of those phone numbers are LANDLINES, not cell phones, so a text would have done us no good, but she HUNG UP ON HIM AGAIN. This is the Utah manager of all U-Hauls. You have got to be kidding me. Who hangs up on anyone, let alone a customer??? That is just no way to do business. We'll go over her head to somebody in U-Haul who believes a business should not be run that way and get our money back, but I can guarantee I'll never use U-Haul again. And you shouldn't either.

5 comments:

Val said...

Gotta love Utah! Unfortunately, I think all truck rental places are horrible. When we moved from Utah, we had movers who dripped their nasty sweat all over our furniture and then told us they were delivering our furniture the next day--which would have been fine except our house didn't close until the following week when they originally told me the furniture would be delivered. All I could get out of them was $60 for a lamp they broke--not the storage facility fee and truck fee to re-deliver our stuff. I'm glad you're all moved in, though. Please e-mail your new address!

Em said...

Yowzers. I can't believe there are managers out there who act like that. What in the world was she thinking??? Very immature. So sorry you had to deal with that. Hopefully the higher up will reimburse your complete bill, as they should.

Peg said...

Let me preface this with saying that I worked for Ryder Truck Rental for 20 years. I have some experience in the rental world. It’s not unusual for them to have you go to another location to pickup a vehicle. If they move the truck it costs them money that they would have to pass on in their rates. Where you will get the most attention and you need to focus on is the way this manager treated you. Don’t back down. Keep calling and go up the chain of command even if it means talking to the CEO of the whole company. What this “Manager” did is inexcusable and then to have them charge you extra for the added miles is beyond wrong! Don’t let them get away with this type of “customer service”. If you push enough they will back down! Good Luck!!

Ammon said...

Uhaul is great at TAKING the reservation, just not KEEPING it! They did the same thing to us when we moved from Utah to Texas. Ammon and I talk about how there is no such thing as customer service anymore...it's more like customer dis-service!

Holly or James said...

Sounds a lot like my Olan Mills experience!!! I cannot believe people who treat their customers like that! Yeah. . . like others have said, don't give up and don't let them get away with this.

It's kinda like my insurance company I had just before I got pregnant with Jack. There was incident after incident where the "customer service" workers were telling me one thing and then telling me something else and doing something completely different. TOTALLY giving me the run around. I was so fed up that I took out my policy and wrote a NASTY letter (or a grievance) to the main headquarters.

Assuming I'd never get any kind of response, or even my $113 back, I was shocked after I finally got some results, (now it took 6 or 7 months to see some results) but I never gave up and got my money back.

It may have been not worth all the hassel, phone calls, and work I had to do, but at least they didn't get away with my money!!!