11 September 2015

Hike in the Uinta Mountains, Sept 8, 2015

I drove to the high Uintas on Tuesday, 9/8.  The weather was great and I hadn't been there for a few years.  Since it was just after Labor Day, the campsites were all closed and there were very few people there.  A few  at the trail head and some at Mirror Lake when I drove there later, but during my 3 or 4 hour hike ( with lunch and just enjoying the views) I never saw another person.  On the way up I stopped and took a picture of the upper Provo Falls, not too much water this time of year but they still looked great. I took many pictures and this is just a sampling.

Upper Provo Falls, North Fork of the Provo River

 All of the lakes are above ten-thousand feet in elevation but since the trail head is at 9700 feet, It was a relatively easy hike. I first went to Crystal Lake which is only about a quarter-mile from the trail head.
Crystal Lake
 My plan was to hike to Lake Marjorie only but the hiking was so easy, it was such a beautiful day and the temperature was perfect, in the low 60's (though it got up to about 85 in SLC) so I went to several of the lakes (there are about a dozen in the general area)

Crystal Lake from the trail on way to Lake Marjorie
 Then I hiked to Lake Marjorie, a little over 2 miles from Crystal Lake.
Lake Marjorie
 From there I went on to Long Lake since it was only about another half-mile (in a different direction)
As the name implies this lake is only a couple hundred yards wide but it is about a half-mile long or more.

Long Lake
 From there I hiked back to the trail head.  My Garmin Trail Master indicated that I walked a total of about 6.5 miles by the time I got back to the pick-up.  Since it was still pretty early in the day, I drove on up to Mirror Lake because it was just up the road (6 miles) and you can drive right to the shore line and campground.  Mirror Lake is really a beautiful mountain lake.  There were quite a few people there.  Some of you should have gotten an email and a google map showing my location from my satellite personal tracker (SPoT device) since I sent a signal from Crystal Lake, Lake Marjorie, and Mirror Lake.  There are certainly a lot of beautiful places to see in Utah.  Love it.
Mirror Lake

1 comment:

Emily said...

Do you ever just want to jump into those lakes?! I sure do. Gorgeous. Thanks for the pictures Dad!