04 July 2014

July 3, 2014 - Beautiful Country

I haven't posted in a very long time.  Thought I would share my recent hike with you.  BUT, blogspot was not getting along with my browser and this took me about TWO HOURS.  It may be a while before I post again!!

I went to Lake Blanche, Lake Florence and Lake Lillian on Thursday, July 3rd.  I think it has been a couple years since hiking there. I went with Bob Keeler from our ward.  It's about 4 miles up Mill B South Fork up Big Cottonwood Canyon and reminds me what beauty we have here in Utah.  I'm a little slower than I was when I started hiking to these beautiful mountain lakes about 10 years ago, but I still love it. You have seen my pictures from this same place before, but I thought it was especially spectacular this time.  It was like spring was just showing up in the mountains.  Everything was green and lovely, beautiful fields of flowers, and the lakes and streams were full and flowing.

 
Some of the views while hiking





Lakes are behind the ridge, Sundial Peak shows over the top and the water from the three Lakes (Blanche, Florence, and Lillian) is flowing down the canyon in center right of the picture.


A closer view of the stream flowing out of the lakes as you climb towards them.


Waterfall that is flowing down a rock slab and into a stream that flows into Lake Blanche.  Sundial Peak in the back.

Another view of the same falls
Stream below the falls flowing towards Lake Blanche

Lake Blanche looking west from just below the falls (and Bob Keeler, hiking partner, taking a picture)

Lake Blanche from the northeast corner.  Dromedary peak in upper left.


Looking straight south across Lake Blanche.  A little snow in the background.

Looking southeast across the lake.  Sundial Peak behind, and (wait for it)

The best picture of the hike. Same view as above from a little farther back.  I love this photo.  Take a good look.  Is this beautiful country or what?



Lake Florence (close), Lake Lillian (behind).  The overflow from Lake Blanche flows into Lake Florence.  The overflow from Lake Florence flows into Lake Lillian. The overflow from Lake Lillian flows into the Mill B Fork Creek (you can see in the 3rd and 4th  photo from the start) and Mill B Fork Creek flows into Big Cottonwood Canyon Creek.
And finally, one of the wild roses that were growing all over the mountain side.  It was, indeed, a good day in the Mountains of Utah.





6 comments:

Larry said...

Just beautiful! I'm looking forward to joining you on a hike.

Sara said...

Thanks for sharing these pics Dad! We need to put up some from our Flaming Giege trip. Have you ever been there? The scenery from our rafting trip today is amazing!

ellen said...

Beautiful!

Summer said...

Wow grandpa!

Emily said...

It is gorgeous! That's a long hike, 8 miles round trip? I don't know if I could make it. But it sure seems worth it. I want to jump IN that lake! But I bet it's pretty cold. :) thanks for posting the pictures for us, even if it was a pain.

Debbie said...

I'm looking forward to some beautiful Utah hikes!