19 May 2009

Zion National Park - West Rim Trail

A few photos from our Friday/Saturday backpack and overnighter. Two sons, two sons-in-law and one grandson - had a great time together. The photo's can't capture the real grandeur of the place but it was an amazing hike. And, we learned that Jared is clearly in better shape than the rest of us. But, at least we all made it - no rescues required.



The start of the hike (Delos taking the picture).




Nice level ground to start out (for about the first 5 miles)

Beautiful canyons, mountains, rock formations.


Fortunately I arrived just in time for me to keep this tree from falling on all the "young ones" hiking with me.



Saturday morning after leaving our overnight campsite, I was able to prevent James from jumping into this canyon as a faster way down - he was pretty tired you know - you can see how fresh and strong I am!
Pretty amazing mesa's covered with greenery as we begin our descent (we also did a significant amount of climbing - about 1200 feet elevation increase as you went up and down various places on the trail)


Son and grandson still hanging in there (Delos' son David was also planning to come, but developed a cold and bad cough before we left, so he missed this one). If you're wondering why sons-in-law Jared and David are not in my pictures it's because they were always a mile or two out front - seems I was a tad slow for them!


Part of the trail was carved right out of the side of a 400 foot cliff - it was truly incredible - hard to imagine how those workers did it (in the 1930's). It gave you butterflies in your stomach just to walk along that portion of the trail.




Looking back at the cliff we had just walked down.



Elevation drop of 3000+ feet in the last five miles. The last couple miles there were LOTS of people (saw very few earlier) as they were climbing up the lower part of the trail to Angel's Landing (and it was hot, about 95).

So, total trail length, about 15 miles not counting side trips. A good time was had by all - and we'll believe that even more after our very sore leg muscles start to recover. I'm walking like an old man. Wait - I am an old man!

6 comments:

ellen said...

great job dad! jared wants to know when the next hike's going to be

Emily said...

Hi-larious Dad, you're quite the comedian! Loved that cliff picture. It sounds like...well, I was going to say fun, but no, to me it sounds like death. But I'm glad you guys had a good time! My favorite is the tree picture. Good one.

Holly said...

I love the picture of you pushing up the tree so it won't fall on all those youngsters. (:

Holly or James said...

Jared did hike way in front of all of us...then he and i ran down the last few miles with 30 pounds packs on...not too smart!
-gym

AustinCougar said...

That was awesome! I was as fast as jared on the first day but the second i just wanted to talk to my dad...

Summer said...

LUCKY! I love backpacking.