28 February 2008

Torture

Poor Charlie spent yesterday morning at the Dr.'s office. He went to see an allergist and it was not a fun morning for him. After the urine sample, he had to have blood drawn and it was pretty traumatic. I kept asking him to look away but he seemed irresistably drawn to the needle and tube that was sucking all the blood from his little arm. Then, we headed down the hall for more torture. He was poked with 6 different squar-ish metal thingys - each with 9 needles containing little drops of oil on them. The nurse and I had to physically restrain him to keep him still. And it may have been the panic, but that little guy is stronger than I would've thought. After the long wait to see what he would react to, he got 7 substances injected just under the skin to (I think) confirm the reaction. Again, he had to be restrained to get through the 7 needles. Poor kid! On the way home, we stopped at HEB Plus so he could choose a new toy. I knew he wanted a blue light saber and I felt he had earned a little reward. Rachel was a trooper by the way - several hours in her stroller and she was VERY good.

The worst thing is that we get to go back on Monday morning to endure the entire process again with a different set of allergens. I have talked to him about it twice so he'll know it's coming. I think I'm gonna have to bribe him with another toy just to get him into the car!

5 comments:

Ammon said...

I'm so sorry for you. My kids hate the doctor ever since getting their foreign travel shots and check ups. Good luck on Monday!

Emily said...

oh man, that sounds AWFUL. poor kid. i'm amazed that rachel was good, noah starts crying the instant isaac does. ugh.

Unknown said...

Sad, was he allergic to anything?

Holly or James said...

poor little guy. so sad
-gym

Holly or James said...

That's so sad for Charlie! ): No fun! Caleb hates shots too. He will FREAK out if he knows he's getting a shot. I was out of town the day of his scheduled flu shot so JAmes had to take him. Not thinking about it James tells him, "we're going to go get a shot Caleb" and he was freaking out the whole way there and apparently had to be forced out of the car and into the Dr. office. I told James that was a BAD idea to tell him before hand.