Okay, I know it's been over a week now, but I keep having thoughts about President Hinckley and I decided I wanted to say something about him since we all loved and will miss him so much. So I decided I would share two of my favorite memories of him.
First I remember a devotional at BYU that he gave that I almost didn't go to, but I ended up feeling so glad that I had. He talked about being optimistic and said that people often walked around looking as if they had been "sucking on a pickle." I thought that was so funny! And he was the perfect example to me of optimism. I wish I were better at looking at the bright side of things.
Second, when CJ and I were newlyweds and living in Chicago, he and his wife came and had a huge meeting. (I don't remember if it was a multi-stake conference or what). It was held in the arena where the Chicago Bulls play and the sound was terrible. I mean, you honestly could barely understand a word. Anyway, President Hinckley spoke first and DURING HIS TALK, random people kept screaming, "we can't hear you." So then Sis. Hinckley got up to speak and she started by saying, "we understand that many of you are having a hard time hearing us. Well, don't worry, you're not missing anything." So cute and funny. I read the book about her called "Letters" and loved it! I'm sure she was so happy to see him again. And I learned yesterday in Primary that his mother died when he was a young man (I think someone said about 77 years ago) so can you imagine what THAT reunion must've been like?
It's amazing to me how many people he touched and how many lives he influenced during his time as the prophet. Can you imagine being in heaven someday and talking with someone who lived during Moses' time or with someone who knew Alma or Samuel the Lamanite? Or with some of the pioneers who were actually acquainted with Joseph Smith? And can you imagine what it would be like to tell them about some of YOUR time on earth - when Pres. Hinckley was the prophet and all of the members read the Book of Mormon together. Or when temple truly began to dot the earth? Or when the Proclamation was given? What a blessing to have known him - even from a distance - and to have been a tiny part of "the kingdom" during his service. He was so loved and will be missed.


2 comments:
good one sara! i feel the same way. we talked about him tonight in family home evening and isaac goes "he DIED!" i didn't even know he remembered that we told him last sunday. then we showed a picture of president monson and taught him how to say it and recognize him. i loved that whenever isaac saw an older man who was sorta bald at church he'd say "MOM! there's president hinckley!" i wonder if he'll do that with president monson now too?
Great post, Sara! I loved him. When he spoke you could feel his love for others. I miss him.
Post a Comment