28 October 2007

Mothers who know

CJ and I were driving back from Albuquerque during Conference weekend, so we missed it. I'm so glad we have the internet and have been able to print and read some of the things we didn't hear because I missed listening in. Anyway, I printed out a talk this morning and it was so awesome I just cannot stop thinking about it. You know how sometimes it seems like a talk is given specifically for you and your benefit? That's how this talk was for me. Anyway, for anyone who's interested, here are a few of the points that I loved from the talk by Julie B. Beck called "Mothers Who Know:"

* Mothers who know bear children.
Sometimes I think I should stop having children because they're hard or I'm getting too old but she reminded me that Pres. Benson said that, "in the eternal perspective, children - not possessions, not position, not prestige - are our greatest jewels." Today was our ward's Primary Program and it was amazing and the Spirit was so strong! I looked at Hannah and Charlie and was really reminded of how much I love them and how badly I want to be a good example and influence for good in their lives.

* Mothers who know honor sacred ordinances and covenants.
A reminder that I need to point my children to the temple.

* Mothers who know are nurturers.
Nurturing includes homemaking so there actually IS a point to all that laundry, ironing, grocery shopping, picking up, cooking etc. I do (at least, that I occasionally do.) She says, "growth happens best in a 'house of order'" and also that nurturing requires, among other things, WORK!

* Mothers who know are leaders.
We do pretty well at having Family Home Evening and family prayer but we could use improvement on scripture study. We're sort of hit & miss and she reminds me that I have to PLAN for it in order for it to happen. I can't abandon my plans no matter what's on TV that night.

* Mothers who know are teachers.
We have influence and power to teach our children. This made me wonder what things I'm unwittingly (and unwisely) teaching my children by my example?

* Mothers who know do less.
Sister Beck says, "They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home." Why is that hard for me? Less is more right?

* Mothers who know stand strong and immovable.
"Who will prepare this righteous generation of sons and daughters? Latter-day Saint women will do this." I hope I can. I want to be a mother that knows.

4 comments:

Peg said...

I loved that talk! In fact we based our Young Women in Excellence this year on that talk. It really hit home that as a teacher/leader of the young women we need to teach these girls these things.

Emily said...

loved it too but didn't hear the whole thing. i'll have to go back and read it!

ellen said...

Love that talk too, anytime anybody asked me what I liked about this conference I mention that talk. And I love the "do less" one. I can't figure out why people feel they have to put their kids in all the different activities out there. I know when I was little I wanted to be home. Plus when you are little is the only time in your life when you don't have to worry about life. Let your kids not worry and enjoy being kids. So now I don't have to feel so guilty about my kids doing little outside the house, like maybe they'll be underachievers or something. I want them home with me.

Holly or James said...

What a neat talk. I probably missed that one. I only got to sit down for one of the 4 sessions of conference. I'll make sure to read that when it's out in the Ensign.