04 June 2007

Ode to IKEA

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love thee to the depth and breadth and cheapness

My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight

For the ends of Being and decorating.


I love thee to the level of everyday's

Most sitting or sleeping needs (YES, that is a sofa-bed for $599),


by sun and cool lamp-light (Shade? $8.99).


I love thee freely, as women strive for cute furniture;

I love thee purely, as purely as this coffee table for $39.



I love thee with a passion put to use

In decorating my new house (if our offer gets accepted).

I love thee with a love I seemed to lose

when I discovered I couldn't afford cute furniture,

I love thee with the breath,

Smiles, tears, of these past 3 years! --- and, if God choose,

I shall but love thee better after we move.

13 comments:

Peg said...

So where is this house? Details, please!

Emily said...

it's a condo in clearfield, 3 bed 2 bath 1298 square feet, built in 2000. has a pool and tennis courts!

Ammon said...

Did you make this poem up all on your own? If so...You Rock!
If not,...you still rock and so does IKEA! My favorite item...a rug for Wesley's room that has buildings, roads, the mountains, and a lake on it-perfect for playing-$14.99!

Holly or James said...

you know there's an ATK in Clearfield?
-James

Emily said...

yes james, i did know that. and no lynette, that is elizabeth barrett browning's famous poem, i just changed a few words to work for IKEA. the only thing i bought was a star-shaped ice cube tray, but i will most definitely be going back once we move. we need bedside tables (found black ones for $49 each), rugs, new dishes maybe, dressers for the boys rooms, and i will be on the lookout for that rug for isaac, lynette! good find! there was a pod-type kid chair with a shade so that you can be completely hidden that spins. isaac LOVED it but of course it's like the most expensive thing in the store--$69. oh well.

Emily said...

here's the original:

How Do I Love Thee? (Sonnet 43)
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning


How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

russandkatie said...

Hey Emily - it was good to hear from you on my blog. You are more than welcome to blogstalk anytime, I do the same thing to all of my friends :) it's part of blogging right?! Ikea is great and I'm glad you Utahns get to have it now. Thanks for your comments!

Holly or James said...

who are russ and katie? did you also know that i could easily get transferred there in a few years? did you also know that it costs $$$ to furnish a whole house so don't expect to do it all at once, even if it is cheaper at Ikea?
-jim

christina said...

Hope your offer gets accepted! Tricia and I went to IKEA the second day it was open - craziness! I need to go back, cause I didn't get to see everything.

Emily said...

you'll never get to see everything christina!! gym, russ and katie are my old roommate jessica's brother and sister-in-law. and yes, i know it costs money to furnish a whole house. luckily all we HAVE to buy are dressers for the boys. and luckily i still have over half the money left from our baby-sitting at delos's, so i'll probably buy a flat-screen at costco! (they're $400 off in july)

Jessica said...

did you look to see if they had any waterfalls at ikea?

Emily said...

none that i could see, darn it!

Ammon said...

Ok, so you plagiarized just a bit from another poem, but you made it your own and it's so... cute! I give it an A+!