A friend emailed me this funny get-to-know-you-in-the-past high school thing so I thought I'd post it on the blog (as a way to journal mostly...don't read if you don't care about me in high school, which most people don't...including myself.)
- What kind of car did you drive? Red '88 Acura Integra with a sunroof. Soooo sweet.
- It's Friday night, where were you? My house playing pool, watching Andy try to do the snake, or other such nonsense. Or at lame-o parties. Did we have football games on Fridays? If so, then cheering at football.
- Were you a party animal? Um, no. I went to parties but I wasn't a "partier".
- Were you considered a flirt? Definitely no.
- Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? Nope.
- Were you a nerd? Yep. Case in point: Me and Michelle singing "Beauty and the Beast" songs during Mrs. Nevin's math class. Ohhh, how she hated us.
- Did you get suspended or expelled? Suspended, yes. Here's the story. During a volleyball game (that we didn't even have to cheer at, why were we there?) Miguel wanted to listen to Michelle's new stereo in her Blazer. She gives him the keys, I get in the back (of the TWO-DOOR Chevy Blazer), Miguel's in the driver seat, Michelle in the passenger seat. Miguel's friend Alan comes out and they decide to start doing donuts in the corner of the teacher's lot, down by the tennis courts. The volleyball game ends and people start coming out, and Vanessa (was that her name?) starts running towards us and screaming for us to stop so we don't run over anybody. We all had to go to the office the next day. We make up this stupid elaborate story about how my notebook was in Alan's car and Miguel was just chasing him to get it....lame. People, just tell the truth. Nobody believes dumb lies like that. Anyway, I get suspended for the day. They told me I should have jumped out of the car. A two-door car in which I was in the back seat. Right. Michelle got suspended for the day too (I think it was just a day?) but her parking pass got taken away for the rest of the semester. Miguel got a week of suspension and no parking for the rest of the YEAR. So lame. At leat I got to drive Michelle to school every day after that. Fun! Too bad we missed an anatomy test that day that we couldn't make up. Plus, my parents didn't even care that I was suspended. Don't parents usually get mad about stuff like that?
- Can you sing the fight song? Yes: "Go Manzano Monarchs, win this game today. With your banner flying high we'll cheer you all the way, RAH RAH RAH! Go Manzano Monarchs fight for Victoreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, we'll spread the fame of our great name so go you Monarchs win this game....fight! RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MONARCHS!"
- Where did you sit during lunch? Usually at mine, Michelle's, or Jill's house. Lara lived too far away.
- What is your school's full name? Manzano High School
- School mascot? Monarch (NOT a butterfly, a lion....king of the jungle, monarch, get it?)
- Did you throw any parties? Yep. My going away to BYU party was lots of fun. I remember it was the night of the 6th game of the NBA finals, Jazz vs. Bulls and the Jazz won so there was going to be a game 7...I wonder why I remember that. There were people passed out in the backyard, my parents had to turn people away who came walking through the house with cases of beer....it was nuts. It was honestly supposed to just be a fun night at home with my friends. As the night wore on some dude showed up with a hairnet and two chicks that none of us knew, that's when I knew it was time to wind down. The next morning there was throw up and bottles all over, even though I spent lots of time that night trying to clean up so my parents wouldn't know what was happening downstairs. I think they knew. I was a moron.
- Did you have a crush on anyone? Anyone? Try everyone. Tim Espinosa, Anthony Lewis, Brian Stolzfus...who else...I'm sure there's more. Oh, Emzy, Freddy, Brian....what's his last name? Why is my memory so bad? He was Michell and Jill's roommate at UNM...oh well. Brian somebody...he played soccer... Larson Silbaugh, and many, many more. RITTER! Brian Ritter.



top: me & larson, middle: me & lewis, bottom: me & freddy - Do you have any regrets? Yep. Once at a party somebody offered me a taste of her drink and I said "sure". Michelle looked at me with this look like, "you don't drink?" like she was so disappointed and I've never forgotten that look. I will always regret that. I haven't touched any alcohol since.
- Did you have a boyfriend? Nope. I"m pretty sure boys didn't like me in high school (hence all the coerced dates to dances). Brian Costanza doesn't count (one week when I was 15 and I'm pretty sure he was kissing Jennifer Martin at the same time). I didn't really date 'til after my first year of college.
- Did you ask anyone to Sadie Hawkins? Didn't have Sadie Hawkins but Winter Ball, and yes. It was terrifying. I asked Anthony Lewis, and I think it was against his religion to dance, so it was a big deal that he said yes. So fun. All our friends went as Mariachis. My date didn't. I'm not sure if he was Mexican, and it may have been offensive? At dinner someone actually asked them to play. Hilarious.

from left: miguel, michelle, tim, heather, me & anthony - Did you go to Homecoming? Yes, with Tim Espinosa. It was so fun. Although he liked Heather but she already had a date so I think he asked me just so he could go. They danced together that night and then they were together just a week or so after that. But I still had loads of fun!

me & tim on our way to the dance in the obgligatory "wave to the camera" dance picture - Were you on Prom Court? Didn't have prom court.
- Did you go to Prom? Senior prom, Yes. What a story that is. (see #33). Junior Prom, no.
- If you could go back and do it over, would you? No. But I really miss all those friends. I'm BAD at keeping in touch.
- What was your favorite class? Anatomy senior year. It was the funnest class EVER. Somehow Tim, Michelle, Larson and Dave got to be in the same labgroup over at the side table and so I'd ditch my lab partner and go hang out at their table. We had lots and lots of fun. I also liked my English classes.


top: tim & jay dissecting a pig outside (the lovely albuquerque public school system...we had no power that day so it was too hot inside) the bottom pic is (from left) larson, dave, me, michelle, tim - What was your least favorite class? Mrs. Nevin's math class. Algebra II I think. Ugh.
- Where were you on senior ditch day? I don't remember for the specific senior ditch day, but I had 32 unexcused absences in computer applications that year.
- Did you have a job your senior year? Nope. Summer before I think I worked at Applebee's.
- Where did you go most often for lunch? Dion's Pizza, Einsteins bagels, or one of our houses
- Have you gained weight since then? Yep. Ugh.
- What did you do after graduation? Went to BYU for summer school.
- Who was your Senior Prom date? Blaine Query (or is it Davis? I know his mom's last name was Davis--she was my 4th grade teacher--but I can't remember if he used her or his dad's name). Anyway. He was Michelle's little brother's best friend (yes, I said little brother...he was a sophomore). I had nobody to go with and wanted to ride in the limo so bad with Michelle and Jill so they found me a date so I could tag along. We had Jill's friend who was a pageant girl do our hair and make-up and I looked like Jackie-O....Seriously the biggest hair EVER. I asked Michelle how it looked and her eyes got kinda wide and I could tell she was trying not to laugh...anyway, it was actually a really fun night, I just wish I'd had a date of somebody I knew, or at least was friends with.


me, michelle & jill in the limo; blaine, me, james, jill, michelle's date & michelle--why can't i think of his name?











9 comments:
This was a very imformative post! I never would have pegged you as being suspended! By the way, you're the one who hasn't changed in 10 years-really!
i have DEFINITELY gained weight though. and the suspension was TOTALLY lame.
That was fun to read!
now everyone do one of their own so i can read theirs!
i am going to say no on cheerleading being a sport. sorry...
what was that chemistry/biology/anatomy teachers name? I loved her. Plus, didn't she say something about how I changed from freshman to senior year?
-james
You look hot in your senior picture! I can't believe I never saw it before! If drill team is a sport, then cheerleading is, too!
she didn't teach biology, just chem & anatomy...i cannot think of her name but I feel like it starts with an o for some reason. i don't remember her saying anything about you but it's possible. and thanks, val! i AM hot. heh heh heh.
sheldahl. mrs. sheldahl.
Post a Comment