01 June 2007

Potty Training

Day 7 (Monday, June 4): We're plugging along. As long as I take him to the potty every once in a while (if I ask him, he always says no, but if I just take him, he usually goes). Steady as she goes!
Day 6 (Sunday, June 3): Uh oh. Church and nursery. We'll see how it goes....had an accident in nursery and I had to bring him home and get new clothes. Bummer.
Day 5 (Saturday June 2): He wore a diaper most of the day because we went house hunting and were in the car most of the day.
Day 4 (Friday June 1): I think we're through the worst of it. He has done poops twice and has only had accidents when I forgot to remind him in the evening. It's such a pain, but I think we're through the worst. I wish he would use his little potty instead of forcing me to hold him on the big one...but at least he does it without a fight now! He's such a big boy! He found a friend at the park today and forgot to tell me he needed to go potty but I didn't notice until I put him in the carseat to go home, so I guess that one doesn't matter?
Day 3 (Thursday May 31): It seems to be working. He asks to go potty now when he needs to and doesn't like going in his diaper that he's wearing at night (last night it was time for bed and I was sooo tired and he came out and said he had to go potty. I told him to just go in his diaper and he started freaking out. He's keeping me from getting lazy with potty training!). He doesn't always make it, but at least he asks! Anyone know when he'll learn to do it by himself?
Day 2 (Wednesday May 30): So it's not going as well now. Isaac had 2 accidents yesterday evening because I forgot to set the timer and didn't remind him, plus he was playing outside and it got cold. Bad combination. So he did really good again this morning but keeps begging me for a diaper so he can go poops. I've had him on the potty for a total of about 2 hours today trying to facilitate that but it's not happening. I put a diaper on him. I don't know what else to do. He refuses to go otherwise. He does peeps fine though, so I keep having him do that. What should I do?! FYI, he did it finally tonight and earned his big tractor! He's sooo excited!
Day 1 (Tuesday May 29): Potty training has begun! It's only 11:30 in the morning but it has gone surprisingly well so far. Isaac actually let me put underwear on him (when I tried a few weeks ago he would not let me do that). I was going to try the nudie tush thing, but that wasn't happening. So we did underwear and I've had him go once an hour, and so far no accidents. I'm kind of excited about this! I ran out of diapers yesterday and on purpose didn't buy more (well I still have nighttime diapers for the nights)...so we'll see if it keeps going well as the day wears on!

4 comments:

Holly or James said...

I forget this is your first potty training experience, huh? How fun for you! I remember DREADING potty training, even before I had Caleb. Some kids are better at it than others, (mostly younger siblings because they have their older siblings to look up to and model after) but Caleb had his fair share of accidents. I remember getting him Thomas the Tank Engine undies for his 3rd birthday and having him run around with just those on (no pants). I remember when he first wet his pants. (luckily it was on the tile kitchen floor) but he didn't like it AT ALL!! AFter that he was really good about catching himself before he wet himself again. Not saying it didn't happen at all after that, but he was aware that if he didn't sit on the potty, he'd have a nice big "wet" surprise in his pants.

Going #2 was a completely different story! I think I remember Caleb asking for a diaper to go poops as well. Strange kids! Why don't they just go in the potty like they're supposed to?!?

Holly or James said...

that spotlight is hilarious! where do you come up with those?
-James

Emily said...

just start typing and see what comes. that hey jude came out and i burst out laughing, have no idea where that came from.

Holly or James said...

You're so cute and optomistic to think you're through the worst of it. Just wait until he starts regressing in a few months and then in a year or so. Maybe it was just Caleb, but we thought we had the whole potty thing down then he decided to start pooping in his pants again and REFUSING to go on the potty. Even after a year of wearing underwear. We still have remind him now and then to not run and hide when he feels like he has to go poops. It's so funny they think they need to hide.

Well, congrats on your success so far and don't give up. (:

And don't give up on your baby either. I'm feeling like I'm at wits end too with Jack. I'm glad James had been home this weekend, cause I I don't know if I would have made it through without strangling both kids!