Tomorrow marks the two year anniversary of our family's arrival in the great state of TEXAS! I saw this post on someone else's blog a few months ago, so I copied some of her Texas facts for this post so don't think I did a bunch of research or anything. But, anyway, Texas really is a great place. Sure, our kids learn the Texas (national) anthem. And pledge. Sure, they sing "Deep in the Heart of Texas" during the seventh inning stretch at Astros games. Sure, the Texas flag can legally fly at the same level as the US flag (it's the only one that can).
Here in Texas:
- It is illegal to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.
- To be elected in the state of Texas, one must believe in a supreme being.
- Forty percent of the farm-grown catfish in the United States is consumed by Texans.
- It is illegal to spit on the sidewalk. (I wish had known this so many times.)
- Rodeo is the official state sport of Texas, though High School Football is more popular. And Delos and Misty, just in case you were wondering, Katy won the State Championship recently.
- In Texas, it's illegal to put graffiti on someone else's cow.
- The last battle of the Civil War was fought on May 12-13, 1865 at Palmito Ranch, Texas. It was a Confederate victory.
- The official dish of Texas is chili.
- El Paso is closer to Needles, California than it is to Dallas.
- In Texas, it is still a "hanging offense" to steal cattle.
- You can be legally married by publicly introducing a person as your husband or wife three times.
- Texas is as large as all of New England, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois combined, in fact, the Dallas/Fort Worth airport is larger than New York City’s Manhattan Island.
So, in the immortal words of Davy Crockett,
"Y'all can go to hell. I am going to Texas."

6 comments:
no WAY! that stuff is crazy! love the one about the supreme being. love the flag quilt too, so cute.
You said a bad word...I'm going to tell!
that can't be all true
You weren't born in Texas, but you got there as soon as you could! I'm glad you like Texas. I love it!
"The stars at night... are big and bright... deep in the heart of Texas!"
hilarious
-james
Sara actually hates Texas you know....
We loooove our Katy football tigers. Austin and I still follow them, especially this year because they've been in sports illustrated all year as a national top 5 HS football team (but had them ranked behind #1 SouthLake all year until the end). Amazing that they won another championship. Got to 3 state title games in the 5 years we were there, and won 2 of them (but ended up forfeiting one for an ineligible player). I took Austin as a baby to a couple of Katy HS games, but he don't remember it.
Post a Comment